There was formerly a school at Lower Towamba,
some five miles down the river from Towamba.
The building, a one-roomed weatherboard structure
measuring 17ft x 14ft cost £63/11/9. The
school was opened in 1898 with an enrolment
of 19. In February 1912 the building was
moved to another site on the other side of
the river, on land leased from Mr. Robert
Hazelgrove at a peppercorn rental.
From September to December, 1916, the school was closed. It was reopened in January 1917, and finally closed in May, 1917, there being only 10 children.
The building was sold on 18th September, 1920 for £23 and the remaining school equipment taken to Towamba.
The following is a list of teachers:
|TEACHER||DATE OF APPOINTMENT|
Before May 1914
'Pambula Voice' April 8, 1898
* The school house at Lower Towamba will be completed in a few days. Mr. T. Waterson of Wyndham is a contractor.
'Pambula Voice' October 5, 1900
LOWER TOWAMBA SCHOOL
* In reply to an inquiry re the appointment of a teacher to the Provisional School at Lower Towamba, we were pleased to learn yesterday through Mr. P. Durie, District Inspector of Schools that the appointment of a female teacher to the school in question has just been made. The delay in getting a teacher for this school has been due to the scarcity of suitable officers for such appointments.
'The Manaro Mercury, and Cooma and Bombala Advertiser'
16 July 1900
LOCAL & GENERAL NEWS
Miss Florence Poidevin, from Bemboka to Lower Towamba Provisional, as teacher on probation.